Mattie’s Cause of Canonization
Mattie’s Cause of Canonization
The Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild was officially initiated on September 21, 2012 — the Feast of St. Matthew the Apostle and the International Day of Peace — to gather information and investigate Mattie’s life and virtues for the possible Cause of Canonization.
In 2018, on the feast of St. Jude Thaddeus (to whom Mattie had a special devotion) and on All Saints Day a few days later, the Guild launched a new website (www.Mattie4Sainthood.org) and new social media pages to support the effort to advance Mattie’s Cause. In addition, “Mattie’s Prayer” was created – for all people but especially for youth, families, educators, and community leaders and groups – to pray for peace and purpose, and to support Mattie’s Cause.
The path to Sainthood in the Catholic Church is a lengthy one, involving a series of steps as the process moves forward. Mattie’s mom, Jeni, is not a member of the Guild, and the Guild is not a program of Mattie’s Foundation. However, both Mattie’s mom and the members of Mattie’s Foundation fully support the effort and make available to the Guild members all information and materials that may further Mattie’s Cause.
People of all faiths and ages all around the world are invited and encouraged to share “Mattie stories” with the Guild. Mattie stories help the Guild establish Mattie as a young man who lived with heroic virtues – such as faith, hope, love, peace, charity, and more — and who inspired others to do the same.
You do not have to have “known Mattie” personally to share a reflection, and you do not have to be Catholic to share a statement. Please click here 0r see the statement at the bottom of this page about the difference between “Mattie’s Guild” and “Mattie’s Foundation.”
If you would like to share a
memory or reflection about Mattie
or a comment on his
life, legacy, spirituality,
or heroic virtues –
1 – Please create your reflection
2- Have your reflection NOTARIZED
3 – Mail your reflection to:
Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild
ATTN: Reflection for Cause
PO Box 674
Kensington, MD 20895
If you have a question or comment
Visit the Guild’s website –
More about Mattie’s Legacy
Understanding the difference:
“Mattie’s GUILD” and
(download PDF here…)
The Mattie J.T. Stepanek GUILD
- is a (soon to be) non-profit organization with a spiritual mission
- of gathering information, materials, and reflections by and about Mattie
- to advance his Cause of Canonization (possible sainthood)
- so that his heroic virtues might be formally recognized by the Catholic Church
- enabling him to serve as a more visible source of inspiration and intercession for generations to come.
- To learn more about the Guild Founders, Directors, Advisors, and Members — CLICK HERE…
- To learn more about Mattie’s Cause of Canonization
— explore the Guild’s website here… www.Mattie4Sainthood.org
The Mattie J.T. Stepanek FOUNDATION
- is a different non-profit organization with a global mission
- of sharing Mattie’s messages of Heartsongs and purpose
- to ensure that the pathways of hope and peace that Mattie offered are available and accessible to global neighbors
- through activities, events, materials, and programs created to support diverse global neighbors in
- recognizing the importance of tending to basic human needs and building community and in
- understanding how the power of deliberate choices in attitude and action can move peace from “possibility to reality” for individuals and for our world.
- To learn more about Mattie’s peace mission
— explore the Foundation’s website here… www.MattieOnline.com