March 14 Workshop: Why Mattie Still Matters
Saturday, March 14, 2015
“Why Mattie Still Matters”
(Click on image to enlarge or share)
About the event –
- Part of the 6th Annual Faith, Deafness, & Disabilities Conference (Saturday, March 14, DeMatha High School, Hyattsville, MD).
- After lunch there will be a meeting of the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild (Cause for Canonization Committee) to discuss strategic planning for this spiritual process.
2:30 pm workshop:
Why Mattie Still Matters:The Life and Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek Presenters: EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo & Jeni Stepanek, Ph.D. – Mattie’s mom
Learn more about the late poet and author Mattie Stepanek, who died at the age of 13 in 2004. Many know about Mattie’s health challenges, but few know he was a teen catechist & lector here in our Archdiocese. Mattie’s life and message was based on his profound connection to his faith, his belief of God’s love and mercy, coupled with a commitment to choosing hope and peace. Dr. Stepanek is the author of Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs. Raymond Arroyo, host of ETWN’s The World Over news program, will share more of Mattie’s story as a teen catechist who spoke to millions through his Heartsongs poetry books, his book on peacemaking, Just Peace: A Message of Hope, and through his many television, radio appearances. Arroyo will also introduce the newly formed Guild to promote his cause for sainthood now underway.
- All are welcome to attend this one-day conference, and to participate in the 2:30 workshop — come learn more about Mattie’s spiritual journey during life, and become a part of the spiritual process towards sainthood.
- Mass with Cardinal Donald Wuerl follows the workshop at 4pm – all are welcome.
- Registration information for the conference –> CLICK HERE
About the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild –
- The Mattie J.T. Stepanek Guild is a group of people gathering information for Mattie’s possible “Cause of Canonization” (sainthood in the Catholic Church).
- Mattie’s GUILD (with a spiritual mission of furthering Mattie’s journey towards sainthood) is a different organization and group of people than Mattie’s FOUNDATION (with a mission of sharing Mattie’s message of hope and peace through educational and recreational resources and activities).
- Although the groups are separate entities, they have mutually supportive missions, and are both working to amplify Mattie’s life, message, and legacy as a gift of hope, peace, and joy for our world.
- Mattie’s Guild was officially launched on September 21, 2012 (the Feast of St. Matthew).
- The Guild’s website will be launched in a few weeks.
- Raymond Arroyo (EWTN’s The World Over) is currently serving as the acting director of the Guild.
- The Guild is seeking volunteers and supporters to help with the logistics that are a part of the process. Many gifts of time, talent, and/or treasure are needed to move the Cause forward — from data entry to outreach efforts to non-profit and canon law expertise.
- If you would like to learn more or be a part of this effort, please e-mail Mattie’s mom, and she will put you in touch with members of Mattie’s Guild (HeartsongBooks@gmail.com).
- If you would like to share a reflection about Mattie’s life, message, or legacy, the Guild welcomes statements from people of all faiths.
IMPORTANT RSVP NOTE –
Learn more about Mattie J.T. Stepanek at
(About Mattie pages)